Moving In


  • Generally you will be asked to pay rent in advance before you move in. we ask for a 2 weeks in advance, which is to be kept in advance during your tenancy. This is to minimize the risk of falling behind should you find yourself in financial difficulties or you can use this at the end of your tenancy to help ease some of the stress while moving.
  • Rent increases –  It must be at least 6 months since the tenancy started or the rent amount changed. Rent cannot be increased during a fixed term agreement unless it is stated in the agreement and even then 2 months notice (in writing) must be given. Rent can be increased in a periodic agreement by giving 2 months notice (in writing).
  • Rent decreases – Rent decreases may occur when there is a drop in the standard of the property, a decrease in services provided (e.g. the availability of car parking), or if a natural disaster (e.g. flooding, fire) makes the property partially unfit to live in.
  • Water usage – You can be charged full water consumption costs only if the property owner/ manager meets a specific set of conditions. Check your tenancy agreement for more details.
  • Electricity/gas/phone/internet – in most cases you will need to arrange connection and pay for the services.
  • Entry condition report – The property owner/manager must give you an Entry condition report (Form 1a), you will be given a copy of the report on your tenancy start date. It records the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy and is an important document. It is vital that you return your copy of the entry condition report back to your property manager 3 days after you have received it, to ensure both parties agree on the condition of the property.

Notice Periods

  • You cannot move out at the end of a fixed term agreement without giving notice. If you wish to leave you must give 14 days notice in writing. Our property managers will normally contact you 8/6 weeks prior to your end of lease date asking for your intentions.
  • Breaking your tenancy agreement – If you break the tenancy agreement (e.g. you decide to leave early), you may be responsible for compensating the property owner/manager for lost rent until another tenant can be found or the tenancy ends. You may also be liable for other costs such as the cost of re-letting the property and advertising. It is important to contact your property manager as soon as you think you are wanting to break lease so we can make arrangements in securing another tenant.

Your Tenancy agreement

  • A General tenancy agreement (Form 18a), also called a lease, is a legally binding written contract between you and the property owner/manager. It must include standard terms and may include special terms (e.g. keeping pets, pest control). You and the property owner/manager must sign the agreement and you should be given a copy. Generally you will be given a signed copy by our company on your move in date.
  • Period of tenancy agreement: Fixed term agreement – has a start date and an end date and you agree to rent the property for a fixed amount of time (e.g. 6 or 12 months) » Periodic agreement – when you agree to rent the property for an unspecified amount of time (there will be a start date but no end date)


  • A rental bond is a security deposit you pay at the start of a tenancy and is lodged with the RTA. The property owner/manager must not hold your bond. Once the bond is paid the property owner/manager must give you a receipt and complete a Bond lodgement (Form 2) which you must sign. The property owner/manager must lodge the bond with the RTA within 10 days. You will receive notification from the RTA once the bond has been lodged.
  • Your bond can be increased if your rent is increased. It must be at least 12 months since the last increase and you must be given 1 month’s notice. Extra bond money must be lodged with the RTA.